Rarity Update

   Folks,
        I just returned from a 9 day trip to Florida in which I drove 3200
total miles.  Highlights of the trip included the EURASISAN KESTREL in
central Florida, which was a very nice bird.
        On Thursday, I was privileged to be one of 8 birders to head to Boca
Chita Key in Key Biscayne National Park to check out the report of a
Red-legged Honey-creeper.  This area is only accessable by boat, and Robin
Diaz of Boone, NC just happened to have one.  After searching the island for
about an hour, the bird appeared.  This is a probable North American first
from what I am told.  For 8 days there were southerly winds in the area that
may have pushed this beautiful little blue bird, from either northern Cuba,
Mexico, or South America.  I guess we'll have to see what the Records
Committee decides.
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe