Hummers at Oak Island ID'd

Latest on the 3 hummers. Gary Phillips caught and banded all three birds
located at Joy Hosier's on Oak Island. AND! AND! AND! ........they were all
Ruby Throats. To lessen our embarrassment the first was a molting female
minus most tail feathers making the wings appear longer and being a female
was larger than the other birds; I guess the head slope was wishful
thinking. The possible Rufus was very young and at that particular stage
with the lighting angle it did resemble the Rufus, but wishing didn't make
it true.  Gary said that the only way to tell some was to hold them in your
hand as he did.

Nonetheless, it was an exciting, fascinating, educational day and I for one
will have up winter hummer feeders from now on.

I took photos of the whole banding process and have posted them on my site
in the hummers gallery. (removed all but one each of the mistaken ID birds.
www.pbase.com/sellbirding

Thanks to all who helped with the proper ID's and especially to Gary
Phillips (licensed bander) from Conway, SC.

Harry D Sell
Boiling Spring Lakes, NC