The following responses to my question of 3/17/03 about numbers of Hermit
Thrushes are with permission of the authors (if my list is right).  They
ranged from agreement that Hermit Thrush numbers were down after the
ice/snow storms of December to no noticeable change in numbers.  However,
this difference may depend on geographic location: folks in the mountains
and southern South Carolina had cold weather, but not as much ice and snow
as here in the Piedmont.

Here is my original question:

"Yesterday (3/30/03) in Evergreen Nature Preserve in Charlotte, Louise and I
saw our first Hermit Thrush since November, before the ice storms and cold
weather.  One birder in Charlotte told me he had seen dead Hermit Thrushes
right after the cold weather.  Usually we see Hermit Thrushes all winter in
Evergreen, but we found none from November until March 30.

Have other NC birders experienced the same absence of Hermit Thrushes?  How
about in South Carolina?  Comments?"

>From Marilyn Westphal in Asheville:

"No absence here in the mountains.  I've had one coming to my peanut butter
log
since the beginning of January and they have stayed around other places as
well.  Of course we didn't get as bad an ice storm as you all did.  We do
get
cold weather, of course.  I don't think the cold is that big an issue as
they
remain in the mountain valleys all winter every winter.  It's more likely
that
ice is a problem for them."

>From Jenny Golden in Charlotte:

"I saw a Hermit Thrush at the McDowell Nature Preserve on 01FEB03,
scratching among the fallen leaves along the side of the road to the
marina, about an eighth of a mile from the marina parking lot.  It was a
cold morning, in the high 30's as I recall."

>From John Daughtry in Greenville, NC:

"The Hermit Thrushes were singing wildly in my yard Sunday, 3/30.  It was
the full breeding song, not the feeble one I more often hear before they
leave."

>From Josh Rose in Durham:

"I had the same impression, that there were not many around this year. The
last one I specifically recall seeing was during the CBC meeting, out near
the coast; can't remember the last one I've seen back here in Durham..."

>From Ann Sahid of Charleston:

"We had Hermit Thrushes all winter at Francis Beidler Forest, near
Harleyville, SC and had them on various CBCs in the coastal area of SC."

>From John Buckman in Charlotte:

"You may be right. Going through my journal, I note that I saw 6 H.T.'s
in 5 of 13 trips this season, mostly locally but with trips to Lansford
Canal
S.P. and the Pee Dee NWR Christmas Count. The trips spanned the period
12/02/02-3/11/03.  Last season, in the period 12/16/01-3/6/02 I saw 18
H.T.'s
on 7 of 13 trips.  This season I saw H.T.'s on 1/4,1/14,3/3,3/10 and 3/11.
Last season I
saw them on 12/16, 12/22, 1/1, 1/5, 1/9, 1/16 and 2/27(4-7 birds on the path
at Mc Mullen-off SH51!)."

>From John Hoots of Paris, France:

"When I was visiting NC and SC between December 12 and
January 4, I saw hermit thrushes on a handful of occasions.

In Congaree Swamp, SC, in early January, two hermits and a
robin followed me for half an hour on the boardwalk,
sometimes peering at me from only five feet away.

In (or near) Charlotte itself, I saw a hermit thrush on two
occasions in the woods at Mint Hill.

All of this is assuming that hermit thrushes are the only
similar thrush that is found around this area in winter.  I
was not meticulous in verifying them as hermits because I
thought that was the only bird it could be.  Let me know if
I am wrong."  [You are right. LSB]

>From Jack Peachey of Conway, SC.:

"Sorry for the late response but yes Hermit Thrush has been a bit scarce
in northeast coastal SC this winter especially after the coldest weather
in mid Feb."

Thanks to all for your responses,
Larry

Larry Barden, 1501-G Lansdale Dr., Charlotte, NC, 28205, 704-535-6385,
Larry@LBarden.com