Hawk

"I had an unfamiliar hawk land on a tree branch (about 20 feet up) just
30 feet outside my window. I got a fairly good look at it through the
window and screen. The breast, neck, and throat appeared to be white or
possibly grayish-white (it was overcast). The back and wings were a dark
color, possibly dark gray. There was a wide, dark stripe going through
the eye. Unfortunately when I stole quietly outside for a better look
the bird flew off, along with a second, identical hawk I had not seen
from my window."

I saw one that meets this description the other day - the white breast threw
me. I was moving at a good clip, so no chance to get a good look...

Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist
Asheville, NC
alex@alexnetherton.com