jaeger at Wrightsville

I went looking for hte Razorbill yesterday at wrightsville beach and did
indeed see it, though not too close to the beach. What was more
interesting was that while looking for it I saw a Jaeger fly over the
masonboro inlet. it stayed close to the rock jetty on the opposite shore
and eventually headed north after circling the jetty and chasing some
gulls. I dont see jaegers often enough to call a specific species but here
is what I saw: a bird with a long pointed wings with a stronger and more
relaxed flight than a tern. THe upperparts were brown (not gray as in most
gulls) and the underparts showed pretty much a clear (as opposed to
splotched or streaked) white. There were no streamers or long central tail
feathers.

I see that according to John Fussel's book the Pomarine Jaeger is the most
likely at this time of year. Can others confirm this or better yet add to
it. For my life and state list I will simply count it as a jaeger
species,but it would nonethelss be interesting to hear opinions on what it
might have been according to the frequency of jaeger sightings at this
time of year.

My overall impression was of a fairly pale bird with not a lavishly long
tail, and this inclines it towards the Parasitic. Is this right? Do
adult Pomarines necessarily show those long tail feathers? Any opinions
and suggestions are welcome.

Shantanu

SHANTANU PHUKAN
Lecturer in Urdu-Hindi & Indian Literature
University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill
Curriculum in Asian Studies
Alumni Hall 413C
Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599