misc sightings

i commute from near the governor's club (chatham cty) to durham so i take
the back roads to hiway 54.  the other morning a turkey tom flushed from
the side of the road in front of me.  luckily he made it across without
being hit (traffic can be heavy).  this morning, on hope valley road, hiway
751(durham), i noticed something warm brown in a ditch (heavily trafficked
residential area).  since a crow was nearby i thought what an odd crow only
to discover as i drove by that it was a raptor.  wasn't able to really get
any field marks other than the color was light sort of tawny brown.  wonder
if probably a broadwinged?  still see ducks flying as i cross over various
areas of jordan lake.  went home via the 751 bridge to see for myself the
water levels. goodness me is all i can say. the water is nearly over the
treetops in some areas.  the amount of litter/debris that has floated to
the top is rather distressing.  guess the spring migration won't compare to
what was seen last fall when the lake was nearly dry in some parts.

the whip-poor-wills have returned to my yard, along with the ovenbirds and
saw my first hummer on sunday. my resident hooded warbler hasn't returned
(at least i haven't heard him as yet).  still have a few lingering juncos
and white throats.  the brush pile created by the december ice storm is
very popular.  the chimney swifts that stay in my office building's false
chimneys haven't returned.  they can number in the hundreds at their peak.

visited my mother in charlotte about a week ago and went to check out the
pond where canada geese nest every year (heavy residential area).  didn't
see any geese but there was a green heron on the grassy shoulder.  i almost
ran off the road.  i would assume likely just passing through.

lee van malssen
chapel hill, nc
northern chatham cty
leescats@mindspring.com