Hilton Pond 04/08/03 (Cottontail Rabbit)

The Eastern Cottontail is only one of four rabbit species in the Carolinas, but it is by far the most common. Lately we've been seeing more and more of these "wascally wabbits" at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History.

For a photo essay on this ubiquitous small mammal please visit "This Week at Hilton Pond" for 8-14 April 2002 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek030408.html .

As always there's a tally of birds banded, as well as a list of recaptures; both were limited by days of rain. This week we also include a telephoto shot of an Osprey that dropped in to fish on 12 April, and a description of some rather confusing duck behavior.

Happy Nature Watching,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at http://www.hiltonpond.org and http://www.rubythroat.org ("Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project").

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.