Western Tanager!

 This morning while having coffee on the deck, I noticed a flash of
yellow in a pine tree across the yard. As I watched, the bird was
flitting about picking insects off the ends of the limbs. Not wanting to
lose sight of it, I yelled for my wife to bring the binoculars. When I
finally got a good lood look at it I was stunned! Bright yellow body,
black back, tail and wings with very noticable yellow and white wing
bars and a mostly red head!
  There is no question as to the identity as I was able to watch for
over 10 minutes. He flew from the pine tree to a poplar only 20 feet or
so from the deck, close enough that the binoculars weren't necessary. We
have Scarlet Tanagers that stay in the woods beside the house all
summer. I hope this guy sticks around!
  If he is seen again, I'll post it.

Ken Yount
Wentworth (Rockingham County) N.C.