[Fwd: Short-eared Owl]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Short-eared Owl
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:40:53 -0400
From: Charles L Garrett <medxam@onslowonline.net>
To: carolinabirds <carolinabirds@acpub.duke.edu>

I just saw a Short-eared Owl flying across the road at 12: 00 noon. The sky was darkening from an approaching rain cloud. The amazing thing is that I saw a previous Short-eared Owl flying across the same road at 3:30 PM on April 16, 1991, approximately 1 mile away. The conditions were the same, darkening skies and an approaching thunder storm. Both locations are in suburban Jacksonville, the first near a golf course and today's near an open field.

The only other sightings of this species that I know of were at the spray fields at the Sneads Ferry WTP and possibly over the marshes at North Topsail Beach. These two birds were obviously migrants.

Buddy

--
Charles L (Buddy) Garrett, MD
132 Dockside Dr