scarlet tanagers!

How often do you get a life bird and a yard bird at the very same time? Well, late this afternoon I spotted a flash of red in the treetops -- a bit too slender for a cardinal. I lifted my binoculars to see a male scarlet tanager -- my first scarlet ever! The crimson on the scarlet makes my summer tanagers' red almost seem watered down. He also had a smattering of green around his jet-black wings. Suddenly another male appeared! The second male was a bright orangy-red. I was hoping to hear the "chic-burr" call note, but they were surprisingly quiet. I watched them flit about the top of an old green ash until they disappeared. I have summer tanagers here all summer long, but seeing scarlets was a real treat.

Leah Campbell
Cornwell, SC
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence." Robert Lynd