West Nile Virus (fwd)

From:           	"Ron Clark" <cain1@earthlink.net>
To:             	<carolinabirds-owner@duke.edu>
Subject:        	West Nile Virus
Date sent:      	Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:33:28 -0400

      At Carolina Raptor Center, we are preparing for the threat of West
Nile virus. Some centers in the Ohio area have lost almost half of their
birds. It is transmitted by mosquitoes. Our 110 display and education birds
are being innoculated with equine vaccine ( vaccine specifically for birds
isn't available).Each bird will need two shots over a three week span at a
cost of $5-$8 for small birds ( kestrals, etc.) to around $20 for eagles (we
have 14). Our 25 cages where releasable birds are housed are being covered
with mosquito netting to try and prevent, or at least slow down, the entry
of mosquitoes.This is no small undertaking. One cage could hold 6-8 hawks,
compared to being in the wild where one bird may be bitten instead of
several.
      So (and you must have seen this coming) we are raising money for this
venture. If anyone is interested in donating, our address is Carolina Raptor
Center, PO Box 16443, Charlotte, NC. Please earmark it "West Nile
Prevention" and put CBC on the check so we can keep track of which
organization it's from. It's also tax deductible. Thanks, and see you in
Clemson. Ron Clark. cain1@earthlink.net

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Box 90340, Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27708