Web-based SC river level resource, etc.

Hi Carolinabirders.

For those who may not know about it, the SC DNR has a
web page that lists recent and current river levels at
multiple points along most rivers of significance in
SC.  This can be especially handy during the spring
flood season, when so many good spots for migrants may
or may not be under water.

The URL (which also shows lake levels) is:
http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/pls/hydro/river.home

It lets you list start and end dates, choose daily or
hourly increments and optional current and historical
discharge rates. My only wish is that it told how many
feet the flood stage is for more of the rivers (only
tells for about 1/3 or them).

Another great URL at the SC DNR website is the mapping
section at:
http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/water/nrima/gisdata/
One has to click past a disclaimer and fill in some
info before selecting a county and then a subsection
thereof.  One can then download very detailed Tiff
file maps.  I usually use a graphic editor to cut out
the area I'm interested in and print that part so it
fits on an 8.5x11 page.  The maps work well for black
and white printers too.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC