Black Hills birding

If folks are looking for a vacation spot that might produce some lifers, I would strongly suggest considering the Black Hills in western South Dakota. This past week I made my 3rd trip to the Hills to attend a wildland fire training camp, where I was instructed by Sioux fire fighters who brought recruits from their local reservation...great cultural experience as well!

The neat thing about the Black Hills is that some species commonly found further west in the Rockies can be found including Am. Dipper, Western Tanager, Townsend's Solitaire and Northern Goshawk. Didn't get the Goshawk, but was told that it could be found in the higher elevations (5000+ ft) along the scenic Needles Highway. I was able to net Wilson's Warbler, Black-headed Grosbeak, and Red-naped Sapsucker as lifers. Also got great looks at Evening Grosbeak, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Gray Jay. Most of these were seen within Custer State Park where visitors can also get up-close looks at Bison, Bighorn Sheep, Hoary Marmots, and various Sciurid rodents. Obviously maintain a good distance (>100 feet) from the Bison, and expect to be approached by the Sheep if you stop your vehicle...for better or worse, they know what hand-outs are.

Eric Harrold
Kenmare ND from Hays NC