Tree Swallows at Jordan Lake 6/14

While out kayaking today (Saturday 6/14/03) on Jordan Lake, Chatham Cty.,
NC, I encountered a small group of Tree Swallows (6 or more) hanging about a
patch of standing dead trees. This patch is the formerly very extensive set
of dead trees  in mid-lake southeast of the tip of Farrington peninsula, and
west-southwest of the wildlife observation site (off of 751, and now
closed). The Tree Swallows were fluttering about the dead trees, and seemed
very interested in several cavities, but I could never get a definitive view
of any popping into a nest cavity. (It was choppy, so observation was a bit
difficult.) Given the date, I presume that they are breeding there. I AM
confident of the identification--I saw at least two full adult birds with
that beautiful irridescent back and snow-white underside, including chin.
They were vocalizing quite a bit, and one flew by giving a very nice
song--something I can't remember hearing before, even where the species is
common. (It's hard to remember that swallows are songbirds, i.e.,
passeriformes.)

A good sighting, I think--Tree Swallow is a rare breeder in the Triangle,
from what I understand.

Other birds in the area: an Osprey couple on a nest nearby--on a very low
stump. A couple of eagles flew by at various times--one full adult and one
in subadult plumage. A few Double-crested Cormorants were hanging about, but
do not appear to be making nests--they had nested at this site before most
of the dead trees fell. The usual Cliff Swallows were busy flying about
under the nearby bridge on SR 1008, i.e., Farrington Rd.

Patrick Coin
Durham, NC
patrick@coinconsult.net

Newsletter/Web Editor