Native, non-native and nearly native

We have at various points had threads on carolinabirds about the
desirability of planting native species to help out our native birds. The
arguments in favor of native plantings have made enough sense to me that
in relandscaping my yard to get rid of lawn I have generally leaned
towards native plants; however, the definition or parameters of 'native'
are sometimes a little fuzzy to me. What would be the consensus on a plant
that is native to temperate estern North America but not to this region? I
was at the nursery today and was attracted to the Prairie Switchgrass
(Panicum Virgatum) but upon looking it up in the plant encyclopedia found
that it is native to the midwestern prairies. Is this close enough to us
or is it the case that by 'native' we mean only those plants that are
specific to our immediate vicinity? And any thoughts specifically on
Switchgrass?

Shantanu Phukan

SHANTANU PHUKAN
Lecturer in Urdu-Hindi & Indian Literature
University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill
Curriculum in Asian Studies
Alumni Hall 413C
Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599