Cape Fear River - kite site

Since I have had several questions regarding the exact location of
swallow-tailed kite sightings, I will offer some additional information.  I was told by
another person today that the swallow-tailed kites have been fairly reliable
at one location along the Cape Fear River over the past month.  This guy thinks
that they probably nested in the area.  They have been seen most regularly
about two miles south of the NC 11 bridge over the Cape Fear River.  There is a
timbered area with a few dead standing trees on the southwest side of the
river.  This is the best area to see the birds, either sitting in the dead trees
and/or soaring over the river.  There have been a few Mississippi Kites in this
area as well.  (The best local location for Mississippi kites is the first
oxbow south of the Riegelwood paper mill, just west of the Columbus and
Brunswick County line.)

The s.-t. kite location is close to where Weyman Creek enters the Cape Fear
River as shown on page 83 of the NC gazetteer.  This site is about half way
between two boat ramps.  The closest boat ramps are about 4 miles upriver (at
Lock & Dam #1 - NCWRC boat ramp) and 4 miles downriver at the end of Golf Course
Road, just north of Riegelwood.  I am not aware of a good way to get to the
kite location by land/car.  With the warm weather, a motor boat will save you
lots of sweat.

Sam Cooper
Wilmington, NC