Cute Wren!

Howdy!

I've heard of birds taking dirt baths before, but haven't witnessed it
very often. Earlier this week I heard a Carolina Wren singing in front
of the house. They've been pretty quiet and secretive lately, so I
looked for him by the basket where they've nested by the front door. I
had noticed a couple weeks earlier that someone had been digging in the
clay, leaving scattered clay by the cement entrance. I figured it was
from a squirrel or the chipmunk, that just appeared for the first time
recently. Well, it was from an adorable Carolina Wren, who was burrowing
himself down into the dry clay and moving all around, as if giving
himself a massage! Imagine a bird splashing all around in a bird bath,
but he was doing it in the clay. He was obviously enjoying himself. SO
CUTE!!!

Joe and I returned from a RAINY week in the Cranberry Glades area of WV.
We've heard about the area from many of you, so we finally made our
first trip there last week. Let's just say it won't go down as one of
our favorite birding trips, but it was very memorable! Had to take a
different route to our B&B in Marlinton (Naturally You, I highly
recommend it!) when we discovered the road was flooded from so much
rain. The highlight of course was seeing the Mourning Warbler (finally,
after the rain stopped long enough!) off the Scenic Highway. The
boardwalk trail at the Botanical Gardens was wonderful with singing
Scarlet Tanager, Hermit Thrush, Veery, Olive-sided Flycatcher, and MANY
Cedar Waxwings. That was our one good day!

Randy mentioned waxwings and just being in the Highland County area of
Virginia. We also visited that area and saw Bobolinks on the wires
heading toward Blue Grass, but I had a terrible sinus and allergic
reaction to something out there. Then, as we were trying to get to
Seneca Rocks, a lady was in the middle of the road motioning for us to
go back, turn around. We couldn't see what was going on in front since
there was ANOTHER curve, so we turned around. Next we tried the road to
Spruce Knob, but the gravel road was full of potholes at the very
beginning, so we decided not to risk it in our Honda Accord, especially
after the day we were having so far. Joe is trying to talk me into a
Subaru Forester now so we have more clearance. Seems as though we find
ourselves on these kinds of roads when we're birding! If anyone has
tips, let me know!

There are active downy and mockingbird kids around our house now, which
are fun to watch. Looking forward to seeing hummingbirds more regularly
soon. They generally become more visible at our feeder in July and
August.

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net