RFI: Ruby-throated Hummers in Canada

Spring through autumn, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (Archilochus colubris) occur--and likely breed--across the eastern U.S. and into southern Canada. Most distribution maps indicate that RTHUs can be seen in Canada only within a hundred miles or so of the U.S. border.

Nonetheless, through "Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" ( http://www.rubythroat.org ) we have received several reports of RTHUs coming to feeders much further north into Canada.

To gain better understanding of the actual northern range of RTHUs, Operation RubyThroat is conducting a survey aimed at residents of and visitors to Canada. We are especially interested in RTHU nesting reports from the Canadian provinces and in information about the possible spread of RTHUs into British Columbia.

If you live in Canada or vacation there and observe hummingbirds, please visit our survey information page at http://www.rubythroat.org/FormCanadaRTHUMain.html and complete the form. Your data will be valuable in helping determine the actual distribution in Canada of one of North America's favorite birds.

If you have questions or comments, please send them to mailto:questions@rubythroat.org .

Thank you, and please forward this e-mail to folks in Canada who may be interested in submitting observations. We are especially interested involving Canadian students and teachers in this effort.

Happy Hummingbird Watching!

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at http://www.hiltonpond.org and http://www.rubythroat.org ("Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project").

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.