RE: Hermit Thrushes

I haven't received my issue of Chat yet, but on the Hermit Thrush issue that
Harry commented on I also find it curious that they have expanded so much into
the North Carolina mountains recently.  They are quite regularly found now at
several locations in the spruce fir zone in the southern mountains.  It
doesn't surprise me when I hear or read about southern birds moving farther
north because of the milder climate and feeders, etc., but it seems more
curious when northern birds, such as the Hermit Thrush and the Tree Swallow,
move farther south to breed.  Expanding populations sounds like a reasonable
argument.  Subtle habitat changes may also be a factor.  It would be
interesting to find out where the Hermit Thrushes that breed in the southern
Appalachians spend the winter.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute