article on Waccamaw NWR

Hi Carolinabirders,

The Myrtle Beach Sun-News today has an article on the Waccamaw NWR in
Georgetown, SC. Since many people on this list live or bird down there, I
thought they might like to know; I didn't even know that there *was* a
Waccamaw NWR until I saw this! Sounds like it's pretty new.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/6313929.htm

My in-laws from Irmo, SC have been plotting to cruise up the Waccamaw
River, presumably through this area, and trying to lure us along, but the
scheduling hasn't worked out yet.

I should admit that I checked the paper looking for an article on the
proposed interstate through the Green Swamp. A reporter from this paper
contacted me Monday and asked me some questions about the issue. Ironic
that *South* Carolina is pushing for protection of thousands of acres of
wildlife habitat in the Waccamaw River watershed, while just a few
counties upstream *North* Carolina is trying to ram a multi-lane highway
through one of the most sensitive and valuable patches of habitat in
either state...

The same paper had an article yesterday about the area taking steps
against feral, nonmigratory Canada Goose populations, but it appears that
they only leave articles up on their website for one day; it's gone now.
Anyone who wants to read that one needs to find a paper copy. From what I
remember, the reasons for removing the geese were more cosmetic -
protecting golf courses and lawns - than environmental or ecological. One
of the possible tactics it mentioned was extending the hunting season, to
allow hunting during the season when migratory geese are gone.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University