SCAN; birding business; Re: FW: Black-and-white Warbler

Hi Carolinabirders,

The latest newsletter from the South Carolina Association of Naturalists
(SCAN) included an observation of some Red-headed Woodpeckers killing a
European Starling. The starling belonged to a flock that had reportedly
tried to take over the woodpecker's nest hole; not only did the
woodpeckers keep their hole, but when one starling got its foot stuck in a
crevice, they made an example out of him. Revenge of the natives!

While recently web-surfing for something else, I stumbled across a
booklet entitled "Establishing a Birding-Related Business" available from
the Texas Cooperative Extension bookstore. Can be ordered for $5 or
downloaded as a pdf file:
http://tcebookstore.org/pubinfo.cfm?pubid=1187

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Helmut Mueller wrote:

> When I first moved to my present home in 1969, we had a singing male B&W
> Warbler around for 3 years. Have not seen or heard one in summer since then.

Gail Lankford posted a week or two ago about a presentation about
greenways by People for Parks, which took place last night. I attended
along with Steve Hiltner (executive director of the Ellerbe Creek
Watershed Association). One of last night's speakers was NCSU's Chris
Moorman, who spoke on his lab's research on greenways, breeding birds, and
nest predators. One of his results was that ground-nesting birds -
including the Black-and-White Warbler - did not nest in greenways with
less than 400 feet (or was it meters?) of unbroken forested width. So
anyone who lives near recent development or losses of forest cover, which
includes most of us here in the Piedmont, may have seen this species
disappear in recent years.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose