Nantahala NF 7/17 -- 7/20

Spent some time last week camping and hiking in Nantahala NF around the Joyce Kilmer and Cherohala areas. Just thought I'd send my sightings along in case anyone was interested. Probably saw a few birds not on the list, but these are the ones I can remember.

* Horse Cove Campground (7/17 -- 7/20)
Acadian Flycatcher
American Crow
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Cardinal
La Waterthrush
Black-throated Green Warbler
Carolina Wren
Blue-headed Vireo

* Joyce Kilmer (7/18)
Ovenbird
Dark-eyed Junco
E. Phoebe (could've been an E. Kingbird)
Blackburnian Warbler (heard only)

* Hooper Bald (7/19)
Indigo Bunting
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Broad-winged Hawk
Turkey Vulture
N. Bobwhite
Cedar Waxwing
Chimney Swift
Dark-eyed Junco
E. Towhee
Red-tailed Hawk
American Goldfinch

* Beech Gap to Bob Bald (7/20)
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Dark-eyed Junco
E. Towhee
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Cedar Waxwing
Worm-eating Warbler

And last but not least .... a peacock ! All the way up on Bob bald - a 2-hour hike from the nearest road. One of the guys in our group has since learned that they are also established on Mt. Leconte in TN. Still a very weird experience.

-Keith

--
Keith Gemeinhart (keithg@tsc.com) | Voice: (863) 385 - 4028
Technology Service Corp.          | Fax:   (786) 513 - 0572