RE:Navy Threatens Nat Wildlife Refuge(NOT) in NC - TAKE ACTION by Aug 18

Hmmm, If the navy buys up 30,000 Acres of farm land that will reduce the
amount of fertilizer runoff that's polluting the refuge.  Having worked on a
base that has endangered wildlife I can tell you that they very quickly
become accustomed to aircraft activity.  Also, most aircraft only fly low
level in the last mile of approach.  You said the landing strip was a few
miles from the refuge. I'm guessing it's at least three miles from the
refuge so that's not really an issue either.  As far as the habitat of the
actual area the airfield encompasses how is any different than the
monoculture farm fields?  I can tell you that in the area surrounding most
airfields native grasses are allowed to grow. This actually harbors more
native and migrant species.  Yes they do try to keep larger bird out of the
immediate area of the runway but that's usually with dogs or a trucks.
Unlike farmers who shoot geese to keep them from eating the crops the
military is happy to just have them move aside.  Also the military is one of
the few industries that actively tries to identify endangered species on its
grounds and tries very hard to accommodate them even to the point of marking
areas off limits to all but the scientists studying them.  I doubt the local
citizens are in turmoil, most are probably glad to see the jobs the base
will create.  If your going to contact the DoD or the Navy you should push
for the base to adopt a full time Ornithologist or Zoologist position to
advise the senior staff.

Stu Gibeau
Black Mountain, NC