Brunswick County, NC, birds

My fishing partner and I spent the morning on the Shallotte River out of Shell Point. We saw what seemed to us an unusual number of green herons at Shallotte and at the Sunset Beach ponds that we checked on our way home;. We also found a red-breasted merganser at Shallotte in the same general area that we have seen one twice before this year on 3/12 and 5/14.
At the Sunset Beach ponds we found several common moorhens. We watched a flock of glossy ibis overfly the area.. A number of wood storks and turkey vultures were also overflying the ponds.
Shorebirds were few and far between. The little blue herons and tricolors that I normally expect to see were nowhere to be found.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Historian and General Outdoorsman
Fayetteville, NC 28311