Fwd: Pacific Loon still at Nags Head, NC

I am forwarding the attached posting for Andy McGann who is not on the NC listserver.
-Brad

From: OBXCAHOW@aol.com
To: bradcarlson1@hotmail.com
Subject: Pacific Loon still at Nags Head, NC
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:05:56 EDT

Hi Brad,

I enjoyed your post to Carolina Birds. I admire your diligence. Luckily for
me, I had an easier time finding the Pacific Loon you posted about on July 19.
Please post this Carolina Birds for me. Thanks.

The Pacific Loon was located just south of the Jennette Fishing Pier in Nags
Head from approximately 10:30 to 11:10 on Aug. 1. This was the first location
I checked, immediately following the passage of a large storm cell. Initially,
the bird was about 500 yards south of the pier, and it slowly drifted north
until it was within 75 yards of the pier. It was usually about 200 yards off
the beach. When the loon approached the pier, at 11:10, I returned to my vehicle
to get my digital camera (after great and long looks through my bins).
Unfortunately, I could not relocate the loon when I returned. I spent another half
hour scanning for the loon with no luck.

By-the-way, after driving to the village of Ocracoke on July 30, I attempted
to rent a small boat to reach Beacon Island for the Masked Booby, The only
boat rental joint there was booked, so I headed back to home base at Rodanthe.

Looking forward to my first pelagic trip tomorrow,
Andy McGann
York, Pennsylvania
Ad114@aol.com
andrew.mcgann@villanova.edu