Big Sit plans for October 12

Dear Carolinabirders:

I am writing to see if there is any interest among us in getting together a
Big Sit team for this year's competition which is on Sunday, October 12.

For those of you who don¹t know what this is: a Big Sit is a bird count done
from a 17 foot diameter circle in some prominent outdoor place that is in
view of a variety of good habitats. The participants stay in the circle and
count all species they can see or hear from it in a 12 or 24 hr period. The
participants register with a central coordinator and all N American Big Sits
take place on October 12th this year. The Big Sits I know in California have
a core of participants as well as others who come and go for shorter periods
of time. (I will have to check this out as I am not sure about this)

I don¹t know about committing to a full 24 hrs but I am interested in doing
a full day and part way into the night to get any owls. Of course the best
Big Sit site in N Carolina will be somewhere around Pea Island and I don¹t
know if there is already a team doing Pea Island.

I myself was thinking of locating the circle near the Civil War Museum at
Fort Fisher since some places there have a commanding view of both the Cape
Fear River and the open Ocean. Or maybe at Battery Buchanan. I am thinking
of these sites since 1. They are closer to us in the Triangle and Wilmington
than the Outer banks are, 2. I don¹t think anyone has ever done a Big Sit at
Ft Fisher, so this will be a new circle, and 3. I just like Ft Fisher (good
scenery, and good Thai/Italian food in Wilmington if we need to celebrate a
particularly good day). I am, however, open to revising the site and
locating somewhere else.

If you are interested in doing a Big Sit (either for a full day, or part of
a day) please contact me privately.

Shantanu Phukan