S Bch Roseate Spoonbill NOT

Dear C'Birders:

The Roseate Spoonbill that Jack Peachey mentioned was only seen for a short
time between 7:30 and 8:00 PM last Wednesday night (July  30).  Diane Hahn
lives opposite the roost and found it and got the word out to us local
birders.  I got there too late.  It has been searched for diligently  since,
both early AM when the birds leave, and PM, when the birds come in to roost,
and I have searched possible feeding areas around Sunset Beach and Ocean
Isle (the latter not as thoroughly I'll admit.)  So it looks like a one-day
wonder.  If we had refound it the word would have gone out.  Keep in mind
this is private land so we felt it would be best to make sure it was
sticking around.

The roost is remarkable this year with the most amount of  wading bird
species and numbers of them that I have ever seen.  Currently there are
about 50 Storks.  Diane expects the number to reach 100 by the end of the
month, if the storks keep coming as they did last year throughout August.
Right now there are both Night-Herons and both Ibises in addition to the
expected egrets and herons including the largest number of  Tri-coloreds we
can remember seeing there.

Good Birding,
Mary McDavit, halfway down the lake from the swamp and roost above Lake
Medcalf, of Sunset Lakes;
Sunset Beach, NC