First day to see seven postbreeding warblers at J.P.

8-7-03 Jackson Park, Hendersonville, WNC.  Ron Selvey, Harvey Neal and I
walked the Nature Trail and the Warbler Trail at J.P. today.  For the
first time during the postbreeding period of late July and August, I
have seen seven warbler species.  This is one short of the eight that
Ron and Harvey saw.  I did my best to miss seeing a Worm-eating Warbler.
Harvey laughs and tells me he has a picture of me birding and looking up
into some tall trees he is going to digitally compose a picture with me
looking up in the wild blue younder while around my feet he is going to
set half a dozen Connecticut Warblers!!!

I get no respect.  But we got the usual Black-and-White Warbler and
American Redstarts.  In the last two weeks there numbers have peaked so
that I have seen about five each.  In stead of just seeing females, half
of our AMRE sightings include the beautiful orange and black males.
Then we saw a couple of Hooded Warblers, and single views of
Yellow-throated Warbler, Prairie Warbler and a Northern Parula, which in
all modesty I must admit that I was the only one to see.  Harvey must
think I am halucinating.  Actually the Northern Parulas have been seen
on many days of the last two weeks here at J.P.

You may have trouble going the 3/10ths of a mile on the Warbler Trail
because a large willow tree blew over and cut the path about 2/3 of the
distance of the path.  Park people in a golf cart passed  us on the
trail and inspected the tree.  I imagine that the tree will be removed
long before migration season begins in late August.

Yesterday, I saw a surveyor at work on the main road of J.P near the
small parking lot at the Nature Trail.  It seems that big changes are
going to be made at the park.  A paved "Green Way" exercise and bicycle
path will cut across the parking lot of the nature trail travel west
toward Mud Creek and just before the bridge there, turn right or north
and paralell the east side of Mud Creek pass under Four Seasons
Boulevard and eventually hook up on Seventh St. with the Mud Creek Park
walk.

This may result in the beautiful group of large maples where you often
see warblers in the fall being removed.  I think it would hurt birding
at the Nature Trail, thought it would make the woods north of the main
park path just east of Mud Creek open for birding.

Regards,
John Lindfors