Charlotte Observer Editorial

Knowing Carolinabirders' love of controversy, I wanted to call attention to The Charlotte Observer's bird-based opposition to construction of a Navy landing field in eastern NC. Folks with views on this issue may want to write their local newspapers. The Observer's second editorial on the subject is copied below.

Len Pardue, Asheville NC

CHARLOTTE OBSERVER

Too noisy in Norfolk
Navy would sacrifice Washington County over jet noise

Admiral Robert Natter, commander in chief of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet in Norfolk, has taken strong exception to an Observer editorial opposing his recommendation for a new Super Hornet jet practice landing field near the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge in northeastern North Carolina.

The editorial described the recommendation as "stupid." On further reflection, we should have said it was nutty as well. It would put the outlying landing field (OLF) in the midst of the winter feeding grounds of up to 100,000 huge tundra swans and snow geese that migrate to the refuge each year. We believe a field there poses significant dangers for the birds and for the aircraft and that other alternatives would be more suitable.

In seeking to put the Navy field in Washington County not far from Norfolk, the admiral argues that it's needed for national security. But the admiral has given another reason in the past. In an Oct. 30, 2000, announcement, he noted that naval flight operations and associated jet noise are of considerable interest to residents of the Hampton Roads area. "It is precisely because of community concerns over jet noise that we are carefully exploring the establishment of an additional landing field to accommodate Super Hornet training," Admiral Natter wrote. Jet noise, eh? Hmmmmmm.

Admiral Natter erred in assuming the environmental impact statement went unread. We read salient portions of it and found it inadequate and unpersuasive. What's more, its assertion that the landing field may benefit the environment because it would alter local land use practices is a prime example of government doublespeak.

An Observer editorial writer has spent considerable time inspecting the refuge and the proposed landing field, and observing the migratory waterfowl on the waters of the refuge, on the wing and upon the feeding grounds where the field would be built. We've interviewed federal, local and state officials about the field and heard the strong objections of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, among others. Five area counties -- Beaufort, Bertie, Hyde, Washington and Perquimans -- and a number of area towns have opposed the OLF.

Placing the OLF in Washington County no doubt would be good for the Navy, but it's not a good deal for Washington County, the Pocosin wildlife refuge or North Carolina. That area's budding ecotourism industry would be damaged -- for the price, apparently, of the Navy agreeing to put at least two squadrons of Super Hornets at the Marine Corps Air Station in Cherry Point.

The landing field would enable fliers from the Norfolk area and Cherry Point to make a relatively short run to a field in a site relatively unpopulated by humans. But the migratory waterfowl would find their feeding grounds curtailed and their environment considerably altered.

Surely other sites in Eastern North Carolina would serve the Navy's needs -- and not threaten migratory waterfowl or the way of life in Washington County. These sites might be considerably more likely to welcome the Navy. This much is clear: The Washington County site should be off-limits.