"The Digital Divide"

C-Birder's,

Anyone remotely interested in digital photography MUST read the article "Crossing the Digital Divide" by Arthur Morris in the latest issue of Living Bird magazine (by Cornell Lab of Ornithology). He makes some excellent points about the advantages of digital cameras, including the following:

1) They're fun to use!
2) Creative experimentation is ultimately cheaper and easier.
3) Digital handles contrast better.
4) Instant gratification & invaluable feedback (yes!!!)
5) Wonderful teaching aid
6) Save $$$ on film and processing
7) Digital equipment is not harmed by airport x-rays. (I never considered that!)
8) Eliminates bulk of waste from film processing

Mind you, the author of the article uses a Canon EOS 1D, which I dare you to find under $3000! However, there are some great cameras out there now under $500. I have yet to purchase my own, but I've been playing with my boyfriend's "pocket" Olympus (~$100) and my soon-to-be father-in-law's Fugi Finepix 3800 (<$400). I still have a lot to learn about them. Hopefully the experience will help me decide on my final purchase.

Leah

Leah Campbell Cornwell, SC faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence." Robert Lynd