Wild Turkey, big thrill

Hello, all. This morning, for the first time in the 18 years I've lived
out here in the woods, I saw a Wild Turkey -- in fact, a hen with two
poults. They crossed in front of my truck on the gravel road I share
with my neighbors. Not shy either -- they didn't run or take flight,
just sauntered on into the woods, even after they spotted me. Turkeys
aren't rare in Orange County, but they sure haven't made an appearance
in my neighborhood. I am thrilled. I don't even care that the birds were
on someone else's land and can't be counted on MY yard list!
Ginger Travis
off Borland Road
about 10 miles NW of Chapel Hill, NC