Long-billed curlew sightings on Ocracoke

I saw a long-billed curlew roosting inside the breeding bird closure area on the Ocracoke Inlet flats, sound side, yesterday (8/19/03). I have seen a long billed curlew in this same general area at least twice before over the last 6 weeks.

Depending on the location of the bird, it could be difficult to see (if it is closer to the middle of the closure), due to the distance, unless you are in the area very early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the light is good. Also, depending on its location relative to some nearby isolated dunes, the view of the bird could be blocked. From the end of Ramp 72, to hike to the area where you can look from outside the closure will take anywhere from 30 minutes (if the curlew is at the top of the flats) to 1.5 hours (if it is at the bottom of the flats).

If you look for the bird, please stay outside the closure; not only is there a $100 fine for going inside, but the closure exists to protect breeding shorebirds and their unfledged chicks.

Due to the distance and orientation of the bird, I could not tell from the pictures I took if this is the same bird that I saw on 6/13/03 at Pea Island NWR (Hatteras Island), below the groin.

Sidney Maddock
Buxton, NC