Re: rails

> It is not too unusual (unfortunately) to see road-kill Clapper Rails in
> coastal communities this time of year.

As John states above, it's not uncommon to see road-kill rails along the
coast, especially in communities with an abundance of overhead wires,
although one wire would do it (the more wires the better, or rather, the
worse). While some of these birds may truely be road-kills, I believe many
are "wire-kills" and fall to the ground after stiking wires while on their
low-flying, nocturnal, migratory flights. Rails, Gallinules, and even
Woodcock are all potential "wire" victims and it doesn't necessarily have to
be near a marsh or wetland - could be right smack in the middle of town
since the birds have to cross many developed areas on their way south/north.

-----
Greg Dodge
Brownbag Productions
Hillsborough, NC