Hyde Park Road Canal - Charleston County, SC

This afternoon with Perry Nugent,  I birded off of
Hyde Park Road along the dike+canal that runs beside
Drayton Swamp just northwest of  Caw Caw swamp near
Ravenel, SC.  The raised dike runs between a
willow/hardwood-lined blackwater canal on one side and
a mature bottomland hardwood swamp/forest on the
other.  In the summer the area is thick with ST and
Miss. Kites and swamp warblers; in the spring and fall
it is great for migrant passerines.  We saw 12 warbler
species in 2.5 hours.

Here are the highlights:
White Ibis - 200+ (multiple flyover flocks)
Barred Owl - 3 (1 seen, 2 more heard)
UFO Empid - 1
Acadian Flycatcher - 2
Great-crested Flycatcher - 2
White-eyed Vireo - 15
Red-eyed Vireo - 250+
Thrush Sp. - 1
GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER - 1 (male knockout)
N. Parula - 10
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 1
Cape May Warbler - 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 1
Black-throated  Green Warbler - 1
Yellow-throated Warbler - 1
Prairie Warbler - 5
Black-and-white Warbler - 5
Am. Redstart - 30+
Worm-eating Warbler - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Waterthrush Sp. (heard) - 1
Summer Tanager - 1
Baltimore Oriole - 1
Blue Grosbeak - 2
Indigo Bunting - 1

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

PS The wooded edges along the canal are thick with
grape-laden vines.  It should be hopping with Thrushes
and Catbirds before long.

PPS In the earlier posting on the Orangeburd Sod Farm,
I forgot to mention that we had hundreds of Barn &
Rough-winged Swallows as well as a couple of Bank and
a single (imm.) Cliff Swallow