Hurricane, etc.

Good evening,

Has anyone heard directly from any of our birding associates south of
the Nags Head area?  Specifically Brian Patteson, the captains and crews
of the Miss Hatteras and Country Girl and Keith and Diane of the Cape
Pines Motel?    I heard on the news today that the marina at Hatteras
Village did not sustain a lot of damage and I'm sure the boats were
moved to safe harbor.  However, it would be nice to get an update
particularly if there is something we might be able to do to help out.

Over the weekend, I had an email regarding two baby doves that appeared
to be abandoned.  Thank goodness I had just watched two babies in my own
yard so I could give some advice - Mom did come for them each evening
and they were quite okay.  Here is another heart warming story that
resulted from that inquiry:

MY BROTHER SAYS TWO DOVES SHOWED UP ON THEIR FRONT PORCH ABOUT 20 YEARS
AGO AND HIS YOUNG DAUGHTER WENT OUT AND GATHERED THEM UP AND PUT THEM IN
A BIRD CAGE. THE NEXT MORNING, THE MOTHER DOVE WAS WAITING AT THE FRONT
DOOR FOR HER CHILDREN. BETH, THE DAUGHTER, WENT OUT ON THE PORCH AND LET
THE LITTLE ONES OUT.  THIS, ACCORDING TO MY BROTHER, HAPPENED FOR
SOMETIME UNTIL THE DOVES GOT BIG ENOUGH THAT THEY STOPPED COMING BY. SHE
WOULD TAKE THEM IN THE HOUSE, THE MOTHER WOULD SHOW UP AT THE FRONT
DOOR, SHE WOULD TAKE THEM OUT AND OFF THEY WOULD FLY.

If you haven't done so recently, you might want to check the Audubon NC
website http://www.ncaudubon.org/ for the latest update on the OLF -
there have been some interesting editorials in various papers.

Unfortunately, my plans to attend CBC last weekend crashed along with
the maple tree that fell on my patio.  However, all was not lost because
Lynn Barber was visiting when her trip to the coast also crashed with
Isabel so we birded along the Alleghany Trail between Whitaker Mill Road
and Anderson Drive and then along Fallon Park - we saw 39 species but
these were my favorites:

Cooper's Hawk - an eye-eye view on an wire just as we left the house
Cedar Waxwing
Red-eyed Vireo - many
Acadian Flycatcher - still singing sporadically
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - one decimating a huge caterpillar
Veery
Swainson's Thrush
Scarlet Tanager
Redstart