Saturday count & thrushes

Regarding Josh's post about missing common species on Saturday, I think that
was a two state problem.  That seems to be the theme of a couple of informal
reports I've already gotten from North American Migration Count counters in
SC.  From my own perspective, Mac Sharpe and I spent a good bit of Saturday at
Blue Wall Preserve in Greenville county counting for the NAMC and missed Pine
Warbler.  Nocturnal listening was very unexciting, as I tallied only 2
Swainson's Thrushes, 1 Black-and-white Warbler, 1 Bobolink, 3 Screech Owls and
2 Great Horned Owls during 2 hour and 15 minutes. The bird of the day, however,
did show up just as the light came up.  Half an hour before sunrise, the light
was just bright enough to identify 4 American Woodcock flying overhead by
silhouette.

Nocturnal listening this morning, however, was quite a bit more exciting. Just
as I stepped out of the door this morning at 5:00 AM, I was greeted by the
sound of a small flock of Swainson's Thrushes.  In the next 45 minutes of
listening, I heard approximately 10 more Swainson's Thrushes and 5-6 Veeries
along with several unidentified warblers and an unidentified sparrow. The
strangest voice this morning was a Green Heron, calling repeatedly from a
low altitude.  The heron apparently incited a ground-based Veery to call,
seemingly in answer.  I had heard Great Blue Herons moving and calling in the
pre-dawn before but I had never heard Green Heron.

Donna Slyce
Lexington, SC