100+ Species in SC

Hey Carolina Birders!

Although I missed the best three hours of the day, there were still a good
number of birds seen in the Horry and Georgetown County area today.

I started on Punchpole Landing Road (southwestern Horry County) at around
10:00 this morning and found several nice birds.  (This road is now
completely dry.  It had been under water throughout much of the spring and
summer.)  From there, I stopped by the sod farm at Bucksport and found
virtually nothing there.  I arrived at the Conway Wastewater Treatment Plant
at approximately 1:00 pm and birded there and along New Road (which is
adjacent to the plant) until 4:00 pm or so.  When I got back to the house, I
began to look at my list for the day and realized I might have a shot at 100
species for the day.  I then headed back out and checked the Murrells Inlet
area, Sandy Island Road and, of course, Huntington Beach.

In all, 11 Warbler species were seen, as were 6 species of woodpeckers.  A
real nice variety of shorebirds were located as well.  I was especially
excited to find a Blue-winged Warbler on Punchpole Landing Road.  That is a
bird that I rarely see here along the coast.  It and an immature
Chestnut-sided Warbler were both new year birds for me in SC.  I had never
had a Chestnut-sided Warbler or a Stilt Sandpiper in Horry County prior to
today either.

I was finally able to come up with 115 species for the day.  A location key
is given below and the list will follow.

C = Conway Wastewater Treatment Plant (includes New Road area)
F = Forestbrook Road area
H = Huntington Beach State Park
M = Murrells Inlet
P = Punchpole Landing Rd.