Indian Trail/Six Acre Wood/Ellerbe Creek

Howdy folks,

As vice president of the Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association, I've been
having a good time seeing all the sudden interest in our little neck of
the woods! Just to straighten out the lay of the land out there, "Indian
Trail Park" is city property on the west side of Albany Street, next to
Hillandale Golf Course. If you cross Albany, and walk the paved trail that
parallels the creek, you're in ECWA property originally named "Six Acre
Wood" (it's actually 17 acres now). This continues until you reach the
cul-de-sac at the north end of Maryland Street, which divides Six Acre
Wood from Westover Park.

I am also the keeper of the ECWA species lists, and so can attest that for
the ECWA preserve vicinity (including the two parks and the golf course),
Tom Krakauer's Nashville Warbler was our 100th species! And Shelley
Theye's Philly Vireo makes 101. Okay, so it's no more than Ritch Lilly saw
today, but he's at the coast; for a little fragment in the city, which was
more than half Wisteria before ECWA got ahold of it, it's not too
shabby...

Just for prurient interest, I'll paste the current updated list below (we
also keep it on our website, but updates there are slow and irregular). I
keep a separate whole-watershed list that stands at 119; anyone with
unusual sightings to report from, say, Bennett Place, or the south end of
the railroad trestle that crosses the mouth of Ellerbe at Falls Lake (Doug
Shadwick's CBC turf)
http://www.duke.edu/%7Ecwcook/tbg/fallsrrsouth.html
should feel free to send details my way!

And, of course, anyone who'd like to assist ECWA in our activities,
including leading bird walks in the watershed, removing trash, monitoring
and trying to influence development, and trying to replace exotic plant
species with natives in Indian Trail Park and all along the creek, head to
http://www.ellerbecreek.org/

Good birding! ECWA's official preserve and vicinity bird list is pasted
below.

Josh

Great Blue Heron
Green Heron