Long-billed Curlew at East Shackleford Banks, NC

Today, while we were returning from Cape Lookout to Harkers Island, we
got to see a Long-billed Curlew on the shore of Shackleford Banks,
within about 100' of the boat.  The captain stopped the boat and let us
look at it for a couple of minutes.  Also in the area were numerous
Marbled Godwits and a Whimbrel.

By the way, we were using the Local Yokel ferry service, which departs
from the western end of Harkers Island.  This service usually runs along
the back shore of Shackleford Banks, affording the opportunity to spot a
Long-billed Curlew.  If you take this ferry service, you might ask the
captain if he would stop the boat for a minute off the area of
Shackleford where the shorebirds congregate.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com