Sabine's Gull - Friday AM

The juvenile Sabine's Gull at Lake Hickory NC was still in its usual
spot this morning.  I arrived at 6:55 am on this frosty morning and
found the lake was totally fogged in.  The sun rose at 7:30 and started
to (very) slowly burn off the fog.  At about 8:40, as you could start
to see a little, Rick Knight (who had driven from Johnson City TN)
arrived.  Just as he was setting up his scope and I was telling him
about the no-show, the gull emerged from the fog.  It flew around for a
few minutes, giving us good looks, stopped to eat some fish, flew
around some more, and ate more fish.  It was sitting in the water in
front of the cell tower when I left at 9:15 am.  Too far for
digiscoping, unfortunately.  Rick and I were the only birders there
this morning.  Great lifer -- thanks, Dwayne!

Directions are here:
http://lists.duke.edu/majordomo-
archives/carolinabirds.w3archive/200309/msg00326.html

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu