BIG SIT: OCTOBER 12, FT FISHER

Dear Big-Sit participants:

I apologize for not getting back to you till now about the BIG SIT on
SUNDAY OCTOBER 12. Yes, it is on and it will be on Battery Hill at Fort
Fisher starting 6:30 am.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON DOING THE BIG SIT PELASE EMAIL ME TO LET ME KNOW.

IF YOU HAD CONTACTED ME EARLIER BUT HAVE NOW CHANGED YOUR MIND PLEASE
ALSO LET ME KNOW SO I HAVE AN IDEA OF OUR NUMBERS.

Following are a few logistical details:

Location: The top of Battery Hill just south of the Ft Fisher Ferry
Terminal. This hill is at the very end of State Highway 421. From
Carolina beach Take 421 South to its very end and a little beyond the
Ferry Terminal and about a mile beyond The Fort Fisher Civil War
Museum. It will end in a dirt parking lot in view of the Cape Fear
River. The hill (or mound) to your right at the dirt parking lot is
Battery Hill. The Circle is in the shade of the lone Red Cedar on top
of this hill. The site should give us commanding views of The Basin
(which is salt water, so grebes & cormorants), The Rocks (a jetty with
shorebirds), a salt marsh at our feet (lots of Rails), a scrubby slope
(thrashers and sparrows) and Cape Fear River (Raptors, herons and more
shorebirds).

Time: I will try to be there at 6:30 am. I will not stay till nightfall
since I need to be back in Chapel Hill by night. I will probably stay
till 2 or 3 pm in the circle. Remember, the Big Sit can be for however
long you choose it to be. So don?t opt out of this simply because you
can?t stay the entire day. Any help you can give us will be good help.

What to bring:
1.	Please bring a folding chair to sit on.
2.	Snacks and food to last the duration (there are no snack stands
nearby)
3.	Lots of water
4.	Insect Repellent: Insects are usually never a problem here
since it is too windy for them and also pretty late in the season;
however, we might just hit a still day.
5.	SCOPE: We need good scopes. Mine is not very good and without
some good scopes those shorebirds will be hard to get.

Meeting on Saturday night: I am driving down on Saturday night and will
stay in Motel 6 in Wilmington on Market Street. I will be having dinner
at the Thai Restaurant just next door at 7-7:30 pm on Saturday night
and would encourage those of you who are planning on driving down to
meet me there. This might be a fun way of beginning the venture. The
restaurant is called ?Indochine? and is about a block from Motel 6. It
has really good Thai food with plenty of vegetarian options.

Rides: I will leave Chapel Hill at 3:30 pm on Saturday and if anyone
needs a ride they are welcome to ride down with me. My departure and
return to C Hill will depend on who is riding with me, but I would like
to stay till about 2 or 3 pm in our Circle.

Phone Number: If you need to call me to ask other questions my number
is 919-967-9583. This may be a better way of contacting me than email
since I seem to be having problems getting on line.

Special Appeal to Wilmington birders:
If you live nearby, say in Wilmington or Fort Fisher, and would like to
drop in and say hello and lend us your falcon-eyes for a little bit,
please do. It would be nice to meet some Wilmington birders and the
more the merrier. Big Sit rules do allow visitors and their
contributions.