hummers in the Carolinas

Dear Tomm and All,

Yes, we are at the point where migrating hummingbirds are more and more
scarce every day in the
Carolinas.  Many folks I have heard from across the area echo Tomm's
observation.  Seems as if a good percentage pushed through before the end of
September this year.  However up until yesterday I had two here:  a large
juvenile female and a shy juvenile male.  Late this afternoon I glimpsed
only a young male (may have been a different bird)-- at my Salvia splendens
van Houtii.  But I suspect that when our next push of cold air comes (Sunday
or Monday?), that will be the end of the Ruby-throateds.

But do not despair!  We are now entering the time of year when the Western
hummers begin to appear.  So keep a feeder up where you can easily monitor
it and let me know if you attract a customer!!

All the best,
Susan Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC