Owl Rescue...

Hi gang,

I found this little guy (pictures attached) sitting in the turning
(middle) lane of Hwy 17 as I was returning home from work on Sunday AM.
I wasn't sure at first what it was that I saw, so I turned around to
find out. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that he was an Eastern
Red Screech Owl!  He didn't appear to be too badly injured, but he did
have some blood on his beak and he would only open his right eye. Wings
looked okay, but I'm no expert. Anyway, I brought him home and called
our local wildlife rehabber and they were able to pick him up. They
called me last night with an update. He's not opening his eyes at all
now, so they're having to force feed him. He looks to have an isolated
head injury - the rehabber, Mike, said that he might have swooped into
the path of an oncoming vehicle at some point during the night, chasing
after insects that were illuminated in the vehicles headlights. I guess
with these types of birds/raptors, they tend to suffer damage to their
optic nerves easily... So, hopefully, with some time, he'll improve, be
able to see, and be able to be released. Keep your fingers crossed for
this little guy!!

Mel

Melody Morris, RN EMT-P
276 Champion Drive
Hampstead, NC 28443
910-270-5220

[Note from Carolinabirds-owner - attachments are not allowed on
Carolinabirds.  You can see the pictures here:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/temp/PA190031.jpg
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/temp/PA190032.jpg ]