October 27 Chapel Hill Bird Club meeting

Howdy!

You are welcomed to join us Monday for a closer look at Red-winged
Blackbirds by our very own Kent Fiala. More information below. Hope to
see some of you there!!

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net
Raleigh, NC

October 27, Kent Fiala, "Natural Selection and the Sex Ratio in
Red-winged Blackbirds"

One of our active Chapel Hill Bird Club members, Kent will discuss work
he did with Red-winged Blackbirds in the 1970s for his Ph.D.
dissertation. Is it more work to raise sons than daughters? Is it
advantageous to bias the sex ratio? Who needs males anyway? What do
these questions mean to the Red-wing, a species with extreme sexual
dimorphism and a polygynous breeding system. Kent grew up in Nebraska
where he began birding at the age of 11. He is the current editor of
"The Chat."

Refreshments begin at 7:15 pm; the meeting starts at 7:30 pm at Binkley
Baptist Church on Willow Drive (1712 Willow Drive) at 15/501 in Chapel
Hill, near University Mall.