Northern Harrier, Orange Co., N.C.

This morning I was excited to see a Northern Harrier coursing along the
fields at the intersection of Arthur Minnis Rd. and Union Grove Church
Grove about 10 miles northwest of Chapel Hill. Even more thrilling to
me, it was an adult male -- pale gray with black wingtips -- only the
second one I've ever seen. I watched it turn and fly low down a little
drainage crease. Once it did a corkscrew turn and half dive, which it
aborted when the creature it was pursuing turned out to be a little
bird, which flew away. Then the harrier gained altitude and flew along
the pine tops headed for the next fields to the west. This was the exact
same location where I've seen a harrier twice in the past 15 years or
so.
Ginger Travis
Orange Co., N.C.