Vesper, Fox, and Am Bittern

Went out prowling the old fields of Mills River valley, Henderson County again
yesterday.  This time I had the same throngs of sparrows as last weekend, but
minus the Lincoln's and plus my first Vesper and Fox for the fall.  I also
accidently flushed an American Bittern that was no more than ten feet away in
a wet ditch.  Scared the daylights out of me. It grumbled a few times as it
flew off.  I believe this is the first one that I have seen here in fall
migration, although I have seen them in the spring several times.  Seems late,
but then these birds are so secretive who really knows what their migration
habits are?
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute