Late Tree Swallows?

Thursday, 11-06-03, I saw four swallows fly north to south, as I walked
west along the ditch that borders the north side of the Super Sod Farm
at Hooper Lane.  I saw some white on the belly of one of the birds.  I
am guessing they were TRSWs because they were closer to dark blue than
the brownish hues of a Norther Rough-winged Swallow.  Checking my
records, I have no other species of swallow so late seen in the
mountains of WNC.

For those curious about the new access road under the utility lines that
will be part of the new green way bike and walking route on the north
side of Jackson Park closest to Four Season Boulevard, don't bother!  I
slogged through the mud and puddles and was rewarded with a Song Sparrow
and a White-throated Sparrow.  Oh, I forgot the Carolina Wren and a
Carolina Chickadee.  (They were part of the avian chourus laughing at me
as I staggered through the ankle deep mud.)

Regards,
John Lindfors