14 August 1937
In obedience to an Imperial Order, Prince Fushimi, Chief of Navy General Staff, hereby issues the following order to Hasegawa, C in C, Third Fleet:
1. The Empire has decided to dispatch troops to Shanghai to protect the Japanese residents and, at the same time, to destroy Chinese troops in that area. Army troops to be dispatched to Tsingtao are to complete their preparations in readiness for departure.
2. The C in C, Third Fleet, while carrying out his present duties, will cooperate with the Army Expeditionary Forces in order to secure such areas as may be considered necessary and destroy enemy land forces in these areas as well as air forces in Central China. At the same time, he will secure command of the sea, wherever necessary, and destroy the enemy's fleet.
3. The C in C, Third Fleets will be charged with the escort of the Army forces to be dispatched to the Shanghai area, and, at the same time undertake the transportation of part of the above Army strength.
4. Details will be given by the Chief of the Navy General Staff.
14 August 1937
Prince Fushimi, Chief of Navy General Staff, hereby issues the following directive to Hasegawa, C in C, Third Fleet:
1. The organization of the Shanghai Expeditionary Forces of the Imperial Army is as follows:
Headquarters Shanghai Expeditionary Forces
11th Division (less Amaya Detachment) and other necessary units.
2. The transportation of the advance troops of the 3d and 11th Divisions will be made generally according to the following schedule:
a. The advance troops (about 3,500) of the 3d Division are scheduled to sail from Atsuta on 19 and 20 August aboard Navy vessels. The date of the assembly of the above naval vessels at the port of embarkation will be 18 August.
b. The advance troops (about 4,000) of the 11th Division are scheduled to depart from Tadotsu and Marugame on 19 and 20 August aboard Navy vessels.