G'ment buying TV and Coercion

Salon's expose of government buying influence on TV scripts:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2000/01/13/drugs/

White House defends the TV anti-drug message program (associated press):
http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2000/01/14/drugs/

In a follow-up article, Salon asks "When the White House and the TV
networks got together to put anti-drug messages in prime-time television,
were they breaking the law?"
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2000/01/14/payola/

Keep in mind this discussion when you read 1984 and if you are interested
in the topic take time to look at Douglas Rushkoff's "Coercion: Why We
Listen to What 'They' Say"  and get a flavor of his work at
http://www.rushkoff.com/coercion.html and
http://www.mindjack.com/rushkoff/coercion.html

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071