Re: another dystopic novel

the movie, which by most accounts was a bomb, was filmed on the campus of
Duke with the Chapel as a major image. if you do check out the video and
look closely you will see several area people as extras as well as parts
of the Duke campus. it should have been great, script by Harold Pinter and
starring Faye Dunnaway, Robert Duvall, Elizabeth McGovern and others. by
all acounts the German dirctor is to blame.

but yes you are right, i think, to see Atwood as rewriting some of the
male-ist ideas found in 1984 and in Brave New World from a feminist
viewpoint. can you think of other information dystopias? In Brazil, the
communications is in part by pneumatic tubes ala Orwell for example.

for more on the movie see http://us.imdb.com/Title?0099731
and
http://us.imdb.com/Maltin?0099731

You might also enjoy the 159 comments on the book on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/038549081X/o/qid=948215286/sr=8-1/102-6969219-0112013

Declining births are also a theme in Harlan Ellison's "A Boy and His Dog"
a very dystopic and not-very-feminist story and movie. but no strong info
theme there.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Lisa Potter wrote:

> Reading Orwell's 1984 reminds me of The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret
> Atwood, an *excellent* novel about the loss of personal freedom and
> knowledge, written from a feminist perspective.  I think it's also a
> movie, although I can't imagine it being as good as the book.

> Lisa Potter
> School of Information and Library Science
> University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
> Chapel Hill, NC  27599

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071